During the 39th ABA General Meetingand Conference held in Kathmandu, the Asian Bankers Association held its annual Board of Directors Meeting on November 8 and November 9, 2023. Held at The Soaltee Hotel, the two meetings held discussions on different topics and made several decisions as described as follows:
(1) 61st Board of Directors/ Meeting
The 61st ABA Board of Directors’ Meeting was essentially a Strategic Planning Meeting. Members of the Board discussed the future role and direction of the Association in the next five years and beyond, and the activities, programs and projects it needs to undertake and implement, to ensure that it continues to promote the interest of and to remain of value its members and the region’s banking sector as a whole, taking into account the new realities in the regional and global market environment.
The Board deliberated on a number of discussion issues that are expected to have a significant impact on the development and growth of the Association in the foreseeable future.
(2) 62nd ABA Board of Directors’ Meeting
The 62nd ABA Board of Director’s Meeting was convened by the newly-elected Board of Directors. During the meeting, the Board:
(1) Adopted its 2024-2025 Work Program outlining activities over the next two years in the area of policy advocacy, information exchange, training and professional development, strengthening relationship with other regional and international organizations, and membership expansion.
(2) Formally admitted the International Compliance Association as its newest Associate Member
(3) Approved the following policy papers that were earlier discussed and finalized by the ABA Policy Advocacy Committee:
- Paper on “Banking Sector from a Perspective f Climate Change & Sustainable Finance: Latest Trends in Turkiye” prepared by the Banks Association of Turkiye
- Paper on “Promoting Cooperation in Achieving Sustainability Development Goals” prepared by The Bank of East Asia Ltd.
- Paper prepared by Fintelekt Advisory Services Ltd. “Global Factors Impacting AML Compliance in Banking”
(4) Approved the Proposed ABA Budget for 2024
(5) Agreed to confer the title of “Chairman Emeritus” to Mr. Daniel Wu, Member of the ABA Advisory Council, for having remained actively involved in the Association since his term as Chairman ended in 2018.
(6) Formally accepted the offer of CTBC Bank Ltd, under the Chairmanship of the newly elected ABA Chairman Mr. Morris Li, to host the 40th ABA General Meeting and Conference in Taipei in 2024 at a date and venue to be advised later.
(7) Approved the creation of a Planning Committee Meeting to meet and discuss preparations for the 40th ABA General Meeting and Conference in the early part of 2024.